The name of the Society shall be:
AUSTRALIAN EARTHQUAKE ENGINEERING SOCIETY
The objective of the Society is to reduce earthquake risk by:
- advancing the science and practice of earthquake engineering and engineering seismology,
- improving understanding of the impact of earthquakes on the physical, social, economic, political and cultural environment,
- advocating comprehensive and realistic measures for reducing the harmful effects of earthquakes.
3. Non Profit Organisation
The assets and income of the Society shall be applied exclusively to the promotion of the objects of the Society and no portion shall be paid or distributed directly or indirectly to the members of the Society except as bona fide remuneration for services rendered or expenses incurred on behalf of the Society.
The activities of the Society are directed towards providing national leadership, facilitation and co-ordination of professional society activities in the practice of earthquake engineering and engineering seismology. Such activities include:
- organisation of technical conferences, symposia and meetings,
- publishing a newsletter and other technical publications,
- promotion of research, development and improved practice,
- acting as the Australian representative in dealings with the International Association of Earthquake Engineering and other regional earthquake engineering associations and interest groups.
Membership of the Society shall be open to persons and organisations who are interested in the objective and activities of the Society.
The annual subscriptions for membership shall be determined by the National Committee from time to time and shall be payable to the Society on the 30th day of the financial year then commencing.
7. National Committee
The affairs of the Society shall be managed by a National Committee elected by the members and consisting of an Executive and State representatives (one from each State). The Executive shall comprise:
- Chairman (President) of the Society
- Secretary of the Society
- Treasurer of the Society
The Committee shall be elected annually, normally at the Annual General Meeting of the Society.The Executive members shall occupy their position for no more than three years.
The Society may have chapters in such states or regions as the Executive shall from time to time decide.
9. Dissolution of Society
In the event of the Society being dissolved, the amount which remains after such dissolution and the satisfaction of all debts and liabilities shall be paid and applied by the Society in accordance with its powers to any organisation which has similar objects and which has rules prohibiting the distribution of its assets and income to its members.